Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Transportation, Tacos, and Bollywood dancing

I thought my transportation struggles would end being back in America where everyone speaks my language. After all, what can go wrong on a simple flight to visit your brother in Austin? Apparently quite a bit.

I'm sitting here in the Vegas airport waiting to go downtown and catch a bus back to Salt Lake tonight. The original plan was to fly back through Denver, but due to a heavy snowstorm, my flight was cancelled. After two hours on hold, I was rescheduled to fly from Houston to Denver the next day (today), but that one got cancelled too. I guess Frontier doesn't have a lot of flights going into Salt Lake. Out of exasperation and wanting to go home before I fly straight to Brazil, I settled with them flying me to Las Vegas.

Anyway, Austin was awesome! I got there Friday at like eleven where Nathan and I had just enough time to grab some Paco's tacos before we headed to UT Austin campus. This taco place was pretty awesome--when you opened the door, this chain thing kind of rattled and they had all sorts of Western decorations and stuff. I went to Nathan's class and got to see his awesome 3D printer and met this guy Ian. We ate buffet pizzas and went to concerts and bonfires together.

I French braided Nathan's hair... It looked pretty sweet. Ian's friend was this awesome cheese master girl. At her house we had grilled cheese sandwiches with all sorts of cheese:)

We heard enchanted rock was really cool so we drove out like an hour and a half to go hike it. But, when we got there, there were so many cars in line to go in and we thought it would take too long so we just went to the nature reserve. It was very nice and we saw a dead raccoon and I even found some baby dragonflies!


We ate at this awesome food truck called east side kings. They had beet fries, Brussels sprouts and cow tongue. They were all good, just the cow tongue was a bit more...tonguey than I'm used to. 

Nathan has some Indian friends who do Bollywood dancing every Saturday night. I need more practice, but it was fun. This guy tried to buy me a drink and ask if Nathan was my boyfriend but I was a bit clueless and sort of shut him down on accident (probably a good thing). Sorry buddy!


We went to the umlauf sculpture garden. It was really neat how many different styles this guy had. He did a really good job showing emotion of refugees. 

This is the pig head cheese sandwich I ate. While Nathan was working, I walked all over town trying to find hard crusted bread, butter and avocado (Ian said it was best with those things). It was kind of gelly and didn't have a super strong taste, but a very interesting texture. I guess Ian just had a pighead in his freezer and made it into cheese. He's way cool. 


We ate hipster sandwiches at this hipster place. Super cool. 



This is us being warm in the sun because it was so sunny outside. Nathan has a mini wilderness super close to his house so we had a really nice walk. 



On our way out, we stopped at the graffiti castle place. It was the most beautiful graffiti I've ever seen, although I felt cheated by how commercialized it has become. 



Nathan being a genie. 

On my way out, I ate this brisket baked potato thing at the salt lick. It was delicious and huge and I didn't have to eat for a long time after that. 
Anyway. Texas is awesome, even if it's somewhat conceited and strange. Cool experiences. Cool people. Cool life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Things I found while hacking open dead wood in Australia

It was a bit discouraging to look for termites in the Daintree, because they were very evasive, but when we drove out to some of the other ...